Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My Diabetic Teen

Since my son Jake's diagnosis with Type I Diabetes 4 1/2 years ago, our lives have taken on a new sense of normal. From frantic runs to the hospital in the middle of the night, to getting a call at 3:00 a.m. because my son was throwing up in the yard during a sleepover (which caused the frantic run to the hospital), to the feeling of heartbreak when he has a meltdown over his diabetes. Fighting with the insurance company, fighting with the pharmacy, fighting with the school system. Worrying about if we have enough supplies, worrying about if we have enough money to afford the supplies. Waking up in the middle of the night because you thought you heard him moan and he might be going low. Waking up in the middle of the night because you hope he remembered to do his bolus for his snack before bed. Waking up in the middle of night because he did go low and needs a snack. Laying there afterwards and not being able to sleep because your thinking of all of the above. This is now my normal.

I look at my face in the morning and see the strain, the bags, the dark circles. And then I realize...he has it much worse than me. I have to be strong, I have to be positive, I have to be his advocate, I have to be his Mom, and I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

These are my ramblings. Welcome to My Diabetic Teen.

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount