Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dear Diabetes,

I think of You often when I look at Jake.

He is polite and respectful, but most precious is the size of his heart. He stands up for the underdog, the weak, and the disadvantaged. Empathy for his fellow human is, I believe, his greatest trait.

I'm sure You have molded his personality. Without You he would not know pain and frustration. Without You he would not have seen the suffering of others in the Pediatric ICU, or heard the horrendous cries of the mother who had lost her child. Without You I doubt he would be who he is today.

So thank you Diabetes for giving my son something positive out of this terrible disease.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I agree with you. Diabetes is a great teacher. I've always been empathic but it wasn't until I got diabetes I opened my eyes and really understood what PWD go through.

I'm glad to hear that your son has picked up such beautiful traits.

FeedBurner FeedCount