Monday, January 28, 2008

Thanks Ronald!


He may seem like a goofy guy, but in times of serious stress there's no one else I'd rather go to than that tall guy with the red hair and big floppy shoes. Well to be honest I really don't go to see Ronald McDonald, but I do stay at his house.

Attached to most major children's hospitals is a Ronald McDonald House, http://www.rmhc.com/, and they provide a home away from home when you have a child that is receiving treatment for a serious illness.
My husband and I stumbled across it when Jake was first diagnosed with Diabetes. They had to medivac him from our local hospital to the childrens hospital an hour and a half away. By the time we arrived we were a mess. Besides all the medical stressors that accompany a first time diagnosis of Type I, we were unfamiliar with the area, had no idea how long we'd be there or where we would stay. Thanks to a kind nurse we found our way to the Ronald McDonald House.

After the second night of no sleep and no showers we decided to get a room. Fortunately for us they had one available (they operate on a first come first serve basis). It was just what we needed...within walking distance to the hospital and a place to rest your head. When your child is in crisis you need to recharge even if it's just for an hour, so my husband and I would take turns going back and forth to the hospital. We ended up staying there for seven days.

Besides the necessities to get you through, they offered us comfort, plus a chance to meet other families that were going through similar situations, and for that I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount