Friday, February 1, 2008

Here We Go 'Round And 'Round...Up And Down...

That's the song I woke up singing. It's been running through my head all morning and it's making me crazy. It all stems from Jake's blood sugar readings yesterday.

Stabilizing blood sugars is hard enough for a Type 1 Diabetic but when you throw in hormones, adrenaline and testosterone in a 14 year old, some days it makes for a crazy ride.

When he came home from school he called me to tell me his blood sugar had dropped 3 times. After reviewing what he had to eat (same as always), bolus (none because he was low), physical activity (none), we figured it was just "One Of Those Days"... you know when nothing about Diabetes seems to make any sense...there's no logic, no rhyme or reason, no explainations.

After having him check his blood sugar (113) and making sure he had a snack I felt reassured that he would be okay until I came home from work. An hour and a half later he told me he was feeling low. We did his blood sugar and it was 37. He's only been this low a few times and it's frightening for all of us. We plied him with juice and Reeses and kept a close eye on him for the rest of the night.

I hope we don't have to get back on the Merry Go 'Round for awhile. Too many rides in a row make me dizzy.

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount